|Chemical test for compounds.|
This image can be used only by giving a link to this article.
a) Chemical tests for alkaloids:
b) Chemical tests for glycosides:
- Kedde’s test- Extract the drug with CHCl3. 90% alcohol with 2% 3,5 dinitrobenzoic acid is added to the extract. To this mixture 20% NaOH is added. Purple color confirms the presence of cardiac glycoside.
- Keller-killiani test- This test is performed only for the digitoxose sugar moiety. Drug is extracted with chloroform first. 0.4 ml acetic acid is added then along with FeCl3. After adding H2SO4 if purple color is produced in the acid layer then presence of digitoxose sugar confirmed.
- Raymond’s test- Reagent used in this test is methanolic alkali. Violet color confirms the presence of cardiac glycosides.
- Legal’s test- This test is performed by using pyridine and alkaline sodium nitroprusside is used. Red color is produced if cardiac glycoside is present.
- Baljet test- Reagent used in this test is picric acid and sodium picrate. Orange color is produced in the presence of cardiac glycoside.
- Sodium picrate test- Drug is mixed with dilute H2SO4. After the addition of sodium picrate red color is produced in the presence of cyanogenetic glycoside.
- Mercuric acetate test- After mixing the mercuric acetate with drug. Drug acetate is formed and mercury is separated out which confirms the presence of cyanogenetic glycoside.
c) Chemical test for steroids & terpenoids:
d) Chemical test for flavonoids:
e) Chemical tests for tannins:
f) Chemical tests for volatile oils:
This is an initiative to help our pharma community through spreading the knowledge. We are here committed to provide you high quality study material free of cost. If you also want to be the part of this initiative just like and share our facebook page so that more and more people can be benefited. Here is the link of our FB community: GPATCRACKERS